Dang it.

Got the car home, got it cleaned up initially, started poking around a bit and
found the tiniest bit of bubbling around the #3 and #4 injectors with some
brake cleaner sprayed around the bases. I checked it out closely when I test
drove it the other day and didn’t see anything. A 60 mile drive on the
interstate at 80 mph seems to have loosened things up a bit…however, the
leakage is really minimal and there’s no buildup of crud or anything that would
indicate it’s significant or even remotely approaching the “Black Death” stage.

Got a set of seals, bolts and a container of grease ordered from the dealer. I
may just do #3 and #4 and leave the others alone for now. Ordered a seat
cutting tool off Amazon - there are a lot of them, so this must be endemic for
a number of different engines, and not just Mercedes.

I’m going to let the boy drive it until I get the stuff to fix it. We’ll keep
an eye on it in the meantime, but his commute is only about 30-40 miles a day
so I don’t expect it to be an issue at this point.

-D