That's a good start point, and usually the solution. Start with simple / cheap
known wear items.

Are the boots on the half axles still intact? If they've failed, time to
replace those.

The U-joints can get stiff / notchy with time, and I understand a good mechanic
can feel the movement when they are off the car, and ID a bad u-joint.

Max Dillon
Charleston SC