I think that 1965 was the first year i was told was the deadline to be completely metric. In the post-sputnik era, NASA was pusing for metric.   THeir major contractors (Military-industrial complex Eisenhower warned about) did not see eye to eye with NASA about metric.   It slipped a year or two at  time at first; then three, then 5.   So here we are 55 years later.  I think almost all cars are metric, or nearly so, same with tractors and farm equip.   But still a lot of stuff is US fasteners.   DOn't look for feet inches and miles to go away anytime soon.

Dan Penoff via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
January 1, 2020 at 5:24 PM
Metrics were a big deal in the early 70s, as I can recall having hard core teaching of the metric system in my formative years. I was a huge science nerd, and I can remember doing all the physics experiments and having to measure in kilos and Newton meters and the like.

-D