On Wed, 1 Jan 2020 12:53:41 -0600 fmiser via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> The ball would be raise 5 min before the time mark, and on the
> time mark it would be dropped.  Not lowered slowly - but the
> usually 10 m/s^2 of gravity.  The beginning of the ball moving was
> the reference point in time.  12:00 and 13:00 were both common time
> marks, mostly depending on the country.
>
> As radios became prevalent, the need for time balls passed.
>
> There!  I suspect most of you have now learned something new this
> year.

Yes, thank you!

But I must correct both you,

       From https://physics.nist.gov/cgi-bin/cuu/Value?gn,
       standard acceleration of gravity is:

            Numerical value         9.80665 m/s^2
            Standard uncertainty    (exact)

       From Wikipedia:

            At different points on Earth surface, the gravitational
            speed gain ranges from 9.764 m/s2 to 9.834 m/s2[2] depending
            on altitude and latitude

and Clay,

       K = deg.C + 273.16

       7 deg.C = 280.16 K