We had a guy close by who rented Budget.   He would always cut a better deal than you can get online.  I've driven straight trucks since I was about 12, and on the road since 16.  The nicest was the 95? international with DT 466E, 6 spd, air ride and Bostrom air ride seat.   It had 300K miles on it when we got it and was like new.   On a smooth road, it was better than an MB.   It would get 10 mpg.   First time I rented a 26' budget it was a Jimmy.  I asked the guy if it could get 10.  He said no, 8 or maybe 9. I drove it over 1000 miles, kept it to 60 and got 10.   What I had found out with the IH was that over 60, the mileage goes down a lot, and fast.  The last one, I drove 3000 miles and got 10, but I don't remember what it was.  I know it was not a Jimmy.   I think it was IH with the v8 they used to call 444.   I got 10 with it also.

Rick Hawkins Java Letterpress Cycles Photon via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
January 29, 2020 at 12:02 PM
Folks

Last Thursday night I rented a Penske 2015 Freightliner 26 foot straight truck. I was going to rent the same truck from Enterprise, cheaper I think, but they wouldn’t take my paypal MasterCard also debit card (or cash)! So I went to Penske.

So I loaded up my dog, Precious and a bunch of equipment moving crap and a coffee camp stove and a cot and sleeping bag.

We drove up to Charlotte, NC and got there about 1 am. It was a pretty nice truck with air brakes and 225k miles which seemed a lot for 5 years old. It drove like a new truck and was really not all that noisy. The radio barely worked.

We camped in the 37f and stayed warm with the help of some moving blankets on top of the sleeping bag.

After our coffee, we loaded about 5 letterpresses and an Elrod machine and probably 1000 lbs of lead .... $2 a lb for bullets or type. And some type. I guess we had probably had close to 10k load.

We also stopped at ft mill, SC and looked at some more junk which I will probably get too.

On the way home to Tybee, Friday night we stopped south of Columbia and bought a ton of diesel for $1.68/ gal. That freightliner takes about a gallon every 8 or 9 miles.

I was surprised to get that truck as a non CDL renter. Due to the air brakes I think it is a CDL truck. I let my CDL lapse years ago when they started requiring medical etc ... I shouldn’t have.

I only saw one weigh station which was closed. I 95 north of Savannah, northbound REALLY SUCKS .... it is horribly rough in the right lane ... I did some left lane riding just to keep some teeth.

If you want to see photos and folly come of my crazy, you can see at Instagram where I am printerrickthe or on Facebook

Xx rick hawkins