no, and AFIK, the 26' rentals are air over hydraulic.  Those do not require air cert., but do require air obviously, or a LOT of muscle if the air fails.   On air, the air holds the brakes OFF, and brakes are applied my modulating lower pressures of air.

For air over hydraulic, in place of a vacuum booster, there is an air booster.   all road vehicles now are vacuum assist hydraulic, air over hydraulic, or air.

CDL does not require air brakes.   You can drive a pickup and need a CDL.

I believe there are some motor homes with air brakes, and those don't need a CDL or even any training I believe.
Dan Penoff via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
January 29, 2020 at 1:44 PM
I believe he means a truck with air brakes that would, if used commercially, require a CDL license to drive.

-D