I am willing to lay it at the feet of the lawyers.  There is cash to be made in
suing folks, and if you get out of the storage of nutcases, you reduce your
exposure to legal actions.  Washington State has a pretty active nutcase
litigation scene.  The truly incorrigible are housed there and assault health
workers regularly.  Then the nurse or employee brings case against the powers
for failure to provide a safe workspace.

There were homes for those needing extra care and attention.  I had a great
uncle who was in residence for most of his life after coming back from the
Great War in less than suitable condition.  He was put away due to self harm
and being a danger to others back in the 1920’s.   When everybody decided it
was a naughty thing to institutionalize people, he was released into the wild
in 1985.  By that time he had no living family left, a nonagenarian with no
life skills.  My mother told me he lasted a few months and died.

clay