The issue is not likely to be the mechanicals and their longevity, it will be the electronics crapping out, and extreeeeeemly expensive modules will have to be diagonosed, replaced, etc. if the owner chooses. You are correct in that these are time-dependent, as opposed to miles. I would expect that in a few years you will see lots of nice used cars (Benzes and everything else) sitting around that are inop due to the electronics problems. They will probably get shipped to Mexico (or Oklahoma?), "fixed" in some fashion, resold...

My neighbor had a C class wagon, it was constantly frying various electrical/onic bits, she finally got them to take it back on trade-in for a newer one, which is behaving a bit better. Wonder where that nice "new" car ended up.

--R

Marshall Booth wrote:

dave walton wrote:
If the 99 E-Class is any example, the new Mercedes will seldom if ever last
300kmi.

A rather large number of HIGHWAY driven '98-99 E300TDs have rolled up well over 200kmi - mostly without major problems. It's a matter of how much they are driven and for how long. A diesel driven 25-30kmi a year will probably last for 250-300kmi, but one driven 10 kmi a year won't last 250-300kmi. The new cars will NOT last a long time - they are only expected to least about 10-15 years so 100-150kmi is about as long as they will go.

Marshall