Which underscores the benefits of owning 123/124/126 and 201 cars. These are still "true" Mercedes Benz. With care, they will last a long time. That is why I have a pristine spare 126. If I ever drive my SDL into the ground, I have the next one ready. This point relates to Johhny B's question if they are worth it, and also to my earlier thread about why we drive old Mercedes.

Now the bluetec engine is very interesting, but at the same time, mechanical injection is very comforting, because it does not rely on any electrical components to run. I might be persuaded at some point to try a bluetec engine, but I doubt I will ever be as comfortable with it as I am with mechanical injection.

At 09:43 AM 4/26/2006, you wrote:
dave walton wrote:
> If the 99 E-Class is any example, the new Mercedes will seldom if ever last
> 300kmi.

A rather large number of HIGHWAY driven '98-99 E300TDs have rolled up
well over 200kmi - mostly without major problems. It's a matter of how
much they are driven and for how long. A diesel driven 25-30kmi a year
will probably last for 250-300kmi, but one driven 10 kmi a year won't
last 250-300kmi. The new cars will NOT last a long time - they are only
expected to least about 10-15 years so 100-150kmi is about as long as
they will go.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84
190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)