On that note I just picked up a 1967 Dodge M-37......I am going to replace the engine with a MBZ 5 cyl, hopefully a turbo if I can find one. THe truck has a divorced transfer case so motor mounts a tranny mount and a driveshaft are the hard parts.

Mike
----- Original Message ----- From: "Loren Faeth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 9:28 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Diesel Pickups

Why not use a 617 or a 602/603?  They are A LOT quieter.  I knew a guy who
had a 60 something IH pickup with an  old OM 636 in it.  (180D)  He loved
it.  That was only what?  Maybe 40 -45 hp?  Even a 240D will pull a pickup
with the right gearing.   I'd prefer the 3 liter size myself so it could
make good speed rolling along the interstate, and have decent
acceleration.   The engine is a lot more common/easy to find also