I found a thing on pelican that says you can pull the latch out the top enough to get the cable loose.   I think one time a 110 I was working on needed a hood cable, and came to me with the cable broken.   These cables are pretty durable.   The one is on the the 124 300D with ~350k miles.    Last spring I saw the cable was frayed and the end was held by only a couple strands.   I took off the handle and put a vice grip on it then.   Now I will soon have the car back so its time to get the cable and change it.  FCP has it for under $10, and AZ has it for over $10.

Craig via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
March 8, 2020 at 8:27 AM
On Sat, 7 Mar 2020 22:32:38 -0700 Craig via Mercedes

I just looked at the pictures, but saw none which showed the underneath
side of the radiator support.

I do recall the release cable comes underneath the radiator support from
the left and then goes to the latch on the top of the support. The
condenser mounts from behind the radiator support.

You will have to remove the horn, fans, and fan shroud. You may have to
remove the clips which hold the radiator shroud, radiator, and condenser
to the back of the radiator support so you can lean them to the rear, if
the condenser is in the way of the latch mechanism.

Craig