Are the pumps on the late W124s a separate unit like PSE pumps on later models,
or the “dumb” kind like the “football” found in W126 models?

I ask because the “dumb” pumps don’t have any logic, just a pressure actuated
snap switch that reverses rotation, changing from vacuum to pressure and
vice-versa. If the pressure switch fails the pump is more or less junk.

-D