Ritter always said 3-4 stops from 60 to near zero in rapid succession, then
continue to drive normally for 10 minutes or so in order to allow everything to
cool off. I’ve used this approach for some years and never had a problem.
However, I use ceramic pads almost exclusively now, so I’m not sure if this
matters or not.

-D