There’s a guy over by Orlando who had been listing a 1967 200 for sale at $12k,
later $9k on CL. Bone stock, all original, looked to be pretty solid. I tried
to talk to him a couple of times and make a case for what it was really worth
(maybe $5k, a little more depending on condition and provenance) and he
wouldn’t have it. Basically told me I was pulling numbers out of my rear
despite me giving him a bunch of comps that were recent sales, etc., etc. but
couldn’t justify his number with anything of substance.

It finally went away after three months on CL. Maybe he found that one person
who wanted one and was willing to pay his price, maybe it sits in the garage
still. I made the effort and tried to be as gracious as possible throughout our
interactions, but he just ended up being a total douche, sadly.

I think people have unrealistic expectations more often than not, mainly
because they let emotion get into the equation. This car had been around him
for some years so he was seriously attached to it. Sometimes that can work in
your favor, as it did in the case of the Finnie Bob helped me buy in Tucson. I
played the “I’m a good person and will treat your car as well or better than
you did” card, which not only cinched the sale but got it at a much lower price
because I wasn’t “some asshole” that would do terrible things to the car. And I
did what I said I would do, and the owner was very happy.

Heh. The seller still doesn’t understand that it’s been sold and sent to
Germany. I tried telling her and she just didn’t get it. I gave up trying, as
did her son in law who managed the sale.

-D