I've thought of the fast glow plugs...I may do that next set of days off. I did think to try to start 'er with the shifter in N yesterday...I've been made look foolish by the nuteral safety switch before.

Thanks Larry.

Bob Rentfro

To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, May 01, 2006 8:02 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] No Glow, No Start, Car Far from Home

Hi Bob,
Just to be safe, I'd take a strip fuse (mine's on the firewall - 78 240D)
and the glow relay is under the dash next to the steering column on my W123
car.  Check the GP's to see is all 4 are getting voltage.  If you havent
already changed the wiring to fst glow plugs  - I know - times a problem -
get the Fast Glow kit from Rusty.  you won;t believe the huge improvement.

Also - try starting in N as well as drive - the bushings in the linkage may
be bad anf the neutral start switch is stopping power to the starter -
hth
Sincerely,
Larry T ('74 911, '67 MGB, 91 300D Turbo)
A Blood Test for your oil - www.youroil.net
For Test Results http://members.rennlist.com/oil
Weber Carb Stuff http://members.rennlist.com/webercarbs
http://members.rennlist.com/my_911/Index.htm For my Paint Job Info
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Rentfro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, May 01, 2006 1:23 AM
Subject: [MBZ] No Glow, No Start, Car Far from Home

I came out to my car tonight after having worked my 6th 12 hour shift in a
row at the old nuke plant...wanting nothing more than to get home, clean up
and have a cocktail...and the old girl wouldn't start. I turned the key,
got about a 0.5 second glow light then a faint buzz from beneath the dash
somewhere (my seatbely alarm has never worked btw). Turn the key...nada. I
checked the silver relays under the black cover on the wheelwell by the
cruise control and they were seated well in their place, but the red wire
going to the most forward one had come out of its connector. Those relays
look identical. Is one the glow plug relay?

Remember...my car is 45 miles from my home.
So...
If you were going to go and rescue it tomorrow, what would you take to be
successful?  I'm thinking a new battery (I'm due...it had shown a little
weakening lately) at least. What about those relays? I had no precursors
of trouble at all.

Any ideas? I get one whole day off to get 'er going again before I get to
do a 5 days on, 1 day off, 4 nights on, one night off, 4 nights on
stretch.

Thanks smart friends...

Bob Rentfro
'77 300D 152K