Well we made our trip to Maine. The weather was outstanding, no rain for 9
days. It must have rained right before we went though, there were big water
holes that dried up over the week.The beavers had been very successful damming
up the outlet of our pond, it was up around 2 feet. I shot some video of taking
the stuff off the outlet pipe, the drain was pretty amazing, took off about an
acre foot (around 325,851 gallons) in about 10 minutes. The suction on the pipe
was such that I had to give up pulling out sticks because I was afraid it would
pull me down.
Sadly 2 of the beavers did not survive the adventure. Possibly more, we left
yesterday but my parents are still there.
We found northern Maine to be almost completely unaffected by COVID. Arostook
county is the largest in the state has at last check 8 confirmed cases. Masks
were suggested everywhere but only about 50% of people were wearing them. We
could get all kinds of food and paper products unavailable at home. I scored a
12 pack of Quilted Northern TP, 25# of King Arthur flour and bread machine
yeast. The flour was $18 compared to $1/lb we've been paying at the co-op. We
found another place that had 50# for $23. I think folks up there carry more
stock on hand anyway, when its -40F and there's 4 feet of snow you don't really
get interested in the grocery store.
Thursday we rented kayaks ($70 for 2) and picked 25# of fiddleheads. I'm
currently waiting for the sun to go down so we can blanch and freeze them. Its
too hot here to work outside and I don't want that excess heat and humidity in
the house.
We're planning to go back in early July, we'll see if anything has changed by
then.
-Curt