On Tuesday, May 26, 2020, 5:21:53 PM EDT, Craig via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

>> Thursday we rented kayaks ($70 for 2) and picked 25# of fiddleheads.
>> I'm currently waiting for the sun to go down so we can blanch and
>> freeze them.

>Remind us what those are, please.
Ostrich ferns as they first emerge but before they unfurl, see my 2012 video:
https://youtu.be/gmPCXx78q9w
We didn't get any fully processed today but got the entire batch cleaned. I
have to teach tomorrow after lunch, probably we'll process after that.

>> We're planning to go back in early July, we'll see if anything has
>> changed by then.

>Do they get a lot of people coming up there for the Fourth of July?

A fair number, mostly returning folks like me. Northern Maine isn't much of a
tourist attraction except for hunters/fisherman and snowmobilers. I guess some
paddlers into the Allegash and some hikers on Mt. Katahdin.