It might have been more fun if the 240D were manual, but this way you can
just build a 300D in a 240D donor body. Every part you need should be on
the 300D. I might be wrong, but I think the 240D auto is mechanically the
same, might have lower hydraulic pressures. 240D box with the valve body
from the dead 300D box might be an option.

You'll probably want to use a 300D differential.

I forget, is 1983 the last year for cheap license plates or the first year
for expensive plates?