My brother bought a Ford van when he lived in Livonia, Michigan.  Great
mileage, ran good, most of the body was in decent shape, but six or seven years
after he moved to Seattle, he got rid of it.  Had to do brakes and was afraid
to touch anything underneath for fear large chunks would break off, very rusty
in spite of special undercoating and regular washing underneath.

Everything rusted away in Canada, I even had all the fins corrode off the
radiator on my Dodge Aries.  Terrible salt, and no way to wash the car reliably
in the winter when daytime temps are below Zero F.

Ladas were the worst though -- not uncommon for things to fall off and axles to
come out on corners.  Russian steel from that vintage (80s) was terribly
vulnerable to salt.