It would be like a lot of things us DIY'ers do - a labor of love, bragging
rights for growing your own meat under conditions that you control, etc. In
this case, the economics don't enter the equation. I think the same applies
to our gardens - we spend more money, but get higher quality, and we know
where it came from, plus my wife loves to grow things that she can eat!

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 3:40 PM Allan Streib via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> Thanks. "Too much work and expense for small timers" is pretty much what
> I figured but I was curious.
>
> Allan
>

> Clay via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com> writes:
>
> > I considered it, for a few moments.  Far too much work and expense for
> small timers.  Most chickens do not have enough meat to be worthwhile.  It
> takes around 15-18 weeks for them to grow large enough for adequate meat.
> Got to process them before puberty to reduce hormones flavoring the flesh.
> >
> > First two months require constant heat and care with feeding, water,
> clean up of poo.  Also ever expanding space requirements.  You can then
> move them outside once it gets above 60’s at night. Still need fresh water
> daily with lots of food, safe space to hang out, and heated areas for when
> it gets cool.  Lots of labor.  One pound of feed daily for around 50
> peeps.  Older birds can run up to a kilo each day if you keep them locked
> up.
> >
> > Organic feed is expensive.  Baby feed is required for the first two
> months, then basic feed (not layer) can be given.  Table scraps and greens
> will make them happy.  The cost per bird at harvest is around $14 for two
> pounds of meat.  Cost is much reduced at very large scale.
> >
> > A 10x12 shed is good for 50-100 birds from peeps to pot.  Peeps will be
> on the floor.  As they mature, they can migrate onto roost.  Nothing
> taller/higher than 5” for the first three weeks, then maybe to 8” off the
> floor the next month.  Peeps falling from height is instant death.  12 week
> old can hop and climb to heights that are fatal as well.  Especially for
> the fat birds for meat.
> >
> > Eating layers once they stop is much more economical.  You got two to
> three years of eggs (3-5 gross), then some slightly stringy meat for pot
> pies.  What they eat has an impact on meat flavor.  Protein rich food is
> best.  They love cheese, peanut butter, hot dogs, lawns with bugs and baby
> plants.  All manner of grain is also a great supplement to bagged feed.
> >
> > clay
> >
> > I have no pronouns please do not refer to me.
> >

> >> On Jun 26, 2020, at 11:15 AM, Allan Streib via Mercedes <
> mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Anyone here have experience raising chickens for meat?
> >>
> >> Wondering how much work it is on a daily basis. What is the total cost
> >> per bird from acquisition to dinner plate?
> >>
> >> Allan

OK Don

pause and reflect." Mark Twain

“Basic research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I am doing.”  Wernher
Von Braun
2013 F150, 18 mpg
2017 Subaru Legacy, 30 mpg
1957 C182A, 12 mpg - but at 150 mph!