Worked on the oldest boy’s E320 CDI today. He said the left front brake has
been making noise, but it works and the pads aren’t worn down. Hmm.

Put the car on the DAS and ran a full set of diagnostics. A few bangs, some we
expected, like EGR which is disabled, but a couple for the SBC. Ran the SBC
diagnostics and sure enough, left front pressure is below spec. Explained the
25 year warranty to son, had him do a screen grab of the DAS errors, and
wrapped things up. He’s calling the stealership tomorrow to get the car in for
the SBC to be replaced under warranty.

He decided after many months of it sitting on the shelf to install the glow
plug controller to replace the one on the car that has failed. It’s bolted to
the bottom of the intake manifold and has to be removed from below. He wasn’t
able to get to the fasteners on the old one, so he unplugged it, plugged in the
new one and zip tied it to some components in the general vicinity. Not ideal
and certainly not what I would have done, but you know, he’s a grown ass man so
he can make his own decisions and suffer the consequences, if any.

So he fires the car up and it’s running much better. I would add that I also
replaced some really sketchy wiring on one of the injectors that looked like it
was the old self-destructing stuff. But - he get an alarm in the dash saying
that the battery is low and the battery monitor is cutting off power to
“convenience systems”. Whatever. It sort of freaked me out a little, so we
threw it back on the DAS to run another set of diagnostics while we went inside
and cooled off a bit (nearly 100F heat index here today.)

While inside, I did some research on this battery nanny to find that there are
two levels of alert based on how low the battery voltage gets. I immediately
figured it fired off because we had the car sitting on the DAS with no charger
on it for a good 45 minutes, after which he fires it up with full glow plugs
with the new controller, I’m sure. Dogged the battery down considerably, I’m
sure.

So we look at the results of the diagnostics and find a bang in it about low
battery voltage. I’m sure that’s it.

He takes the car for a short spin and gets it again. Grrr.

I told him to take the car out for a decent drive. He does. Comes back, battery
nanny has retreated and no more alarms.

The W211s are nice cars, but sometimes they make a W123 look attractive.

-D