I sheared off the head on the SL (they have a little shaft between the head the shoulder of the bolt) and had to drill out the bolt where it seated on the wheel, good thing I had a Drill Doctor to keep sharpening the bits.  It was a bugger of a job

--FT

On 6/29/20 2:34 PM, Rick Knoble via Mercedes wrote:
I think Grant suggested with Floyd's SL to cover the lug with a length of iron
pipe and use a torch through the pipe to prevent damage to the aluminum rim.

Rick

          Original Message

From: mercedes@okiebenz.com
Sent: June 29, 2020 1:14 PM
To: mercedes@okiebenz.com
Cc: g2ma...@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [MBZ] How to get off way over tight lug bolts

Mercedes uses a "ball & socket shape " lug nut.
As opposed to what the USA cars use, which is a "Cone shape"
The contact area of the ball & socket lug nut is much greater than a Cone
shape lug nut.

To break loose the ball and socket nut that is overly tight, you need to
stretch the lug bolt to increase the length,, just a little... localized
heat will do that... Shouldn't take a lot, you only need to grow the lug
bolt portion a couple thousands of an inch to release the ball out of hard
contact with the socket...

--FT