Read it again Curt, it says the particles are so small (1-2 microns) that
they remain airborne, which means they flow with the air right through and
around the surgical mask.

https://blogs.cdc.gov/niosh-science-blog/2017/07/06/elastomerics/

" Surgical masks are *not* respirators. They are disposable coverings
designed to be loose-fitting over the user’s nose and mouth. These
loose-fitting masks leave gaps between the mask and the wearer’s face
through which harmful particles may pass. Since the Food and Drug
Administration (FDA) does not address the fit function of masks and
surgical masks are not NIOSH approved, the mask may not be used in
situations covered by Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
within areas requiring the use of respiratory protection. Therefore
surgical masks should never be used for protection against infectious
aerosolized particles."

My advice: Wash your hands / use sanitizer often, stay away from those
coughing and sneezing, talk with your doc in advance about treatment
options beforehand (hydroxychloroquine, budesonide, etc) so you have an
idea of what to do if you feel ill or know you are exposed.  If some other
ritual makes you feel safe (I'll be carrying my firearm of choice and
riding in a very safe car, a Mercedes-Benz) then go for it.

Max
Charleston SC