Hello fellow listers.

Tomorrow, I'm going to replace all of the belts, button up the last of the linkage bits, put the air cleaner on and take her on her first test drive. All this talk about starters reminded me about some strange behavior exhibited by the starter on my car. If it's just a few cranks and she lights off, there's no problem, but if it's cranking for a few more revolutions, it'll click, stop for a minute, or cut out totally and kick in mid stroke causing it to lose contact with the flywheel. Does this mean it's new starter time? Will cleaning connections make any difference? Is it possible to replace just the solenoid which seems to be the problem? Once I get the leaking primer pump replaced, it'll probably start with a crank or two and it won't be much of a problem, but I want to prevent any future problem that might leave us stranded.

Kevin in Hillsboro Oregon
Giesela, 1981 300CD 204K miles