It's a big, safe, heavy, reasonably powerful car.

My Volvo of the same vintage with a V6 gets similar fuel economy.

These cars are made for and sold to customers who are not shopping for
fuel economy.

Allan

Andrew Strasfogel via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com> writes:

> I find it appalling that a "modern" Mercedes gets such pathetic fuel
> economy.  Or is this an 8 cylinder model?
>
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 12:32 PM Floyd Thursby via Mercedes <
> mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
>
>> My 05 was less in better shape but this could be a reasonable deal if
>> anyone is into wagons
>>
>> https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2698653243751497
>>
>> 2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class · E 320 4MATIC Wagon 4D
>> $2,500
>> Vehicles <https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/charleston/vehicles/>
>> Listed 3 hours ago in Whitsett, NC
>> <https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/103766779662010/>
>>

>>     About This Vehicle…
>>
>> Driven 163,000 miles
>> Automatic transmission
>> Exterior color: Black · Interior color: Black
>> Fuel type: Gasoline
>> 16.0 MPG city · 22.0 MPG highway · 18.0 MPG combined
>>

>>     Typical Features…
>>
>>   *
>>     Moon Roof
>>   *
>>     Navigation
>>   *
>>     Alloy Wheels
>>   *
>>     4MATIC AWD
>>   *
>>

>>     Seller's description…
>>
>> This E320 is mechanically sound, there are a couple issues..left rear
>> air spring has a leak. It does inflate while engine is running and
>> drives fine. Wheel bearing on same wheel needs replacing, operates but
>> you can hear the sound. Left tailgate lift needs replacing, I have the
>> part. Body is not in perfect and I had planned to have it repainted but
>> am moving to the coast and going to buy a convertible. Price reflects
>> issues.
>>
>> --
>> --FT

Allan Streib
Indiana University
Luddy School of Informatics, Computing, and Engineering
Digital Science Center | Intelligent Systems Engineering | FutureSystems