Sure, an A class with the CDI engine could get you maybe 60MPG on the
highway. At a whopping 60HP, not sure you'd call it powerful by any
standard, but in a very small car like that it's probably adequate.

But it's a far cry from an E320 4MATIC wagon on all other measures.

Allan

Curt Raymond <curtlud...@yahoo.com> writes:

> Cost is a factor also. My Jetta is pretty much all three (for a given value of
> "powerful") but the diesel engine was a significant extra cost when the car
> was
> new and helps it hold its value now.
>
> -Curt
>
> On Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 3:27:44 PM EDT, Allan Streib via Mercedes
> <mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
>
> Safe, powerful, fuel-efficient. Pick two.
>
> Mercedes made the A140 at about the same time frame, it had 80HP and got 40+
> MPG.
>
> Allan
>
> Andrew Strasfogel <astrasfo...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I still say it's pathetic that they can't do better than that, with all the
>> advances in modern technology, while still Manufacturing a safe car.
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 12, 2020, 2:34 PM Allan Streib via Mercedes <
> mercedes@okiebenz.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>    It's a big, safe, heavy, reasonably powerful car.
>>
>>    My Volvo of the same vintage with a V6 gets similar fuel economy.
>>
>>    These cars are made for and sold to customers who are not shopping for
>>    fuel economy.
>>
>>    Allan
>>
>>    Andrew Strasfogel via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com> writes:
>>
>>    > I find it appalling that a "modern" Mercedes gets such pathetic fuel
>>    > economy.  Or is this an 8 cylinder model?
>>    >
>>    > On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 12:32 PM Floyd Thursby via Mercedes <
>>    > mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
>>    >
>>    >> My 05 was less in better shape but this could be a reasonable deal if
>>    >> anyone is into wagons
>>    >>
>>    >> https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2698653243751497
>>    >>
>>    >> 2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class · E 320 4MATIC Wagon 4D
>>    >> $2,500
>>    >> Vehicles <https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/charleston/vehicles/>
>>    >> Listed 3 hours ago in Whitsett, NC
>>    >> <https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/103766779662010/>
>>    >>
>>    >>
>>    >>    About This Vehicle…
>>    >>
>>    >> Driven 163,000 miles
>>    >> Automatic transmission
>>    >> Exterior color: Black · Interior color: Black
>>    >> Fuel type: Gasoline
>>    >> 16.0 MPG city · 22.0 MPG highway · 18.0 MPG combined
>>    >>
>>    >>
>>    >>    Typical Features…
>>    >>
>>    >>  *
>>    >>    Moon Roof
>>    >>  *
>>    >>    Navigation
>>    >>  *
>>    >>    Alloy Wheels
>>    >>  *
>>    >>    4MATIC AWD
>>    >>  *
>>    >>
>>    >>
> [...]

Allan Streib
Indiana University
Luddy School of Informatics, Computing, and Engineering
Digital Science Center | Intelligent Systems Engineering | FutureSystems