Hello everyone!

My dad and I spent most of the afternoon prepping the car for its first test drive since it came home on a tow truck. I replaced the alt and PS belts, but couldn't do anything with the AC belt since it doesn't have an idler pulley (the next project). The compressor turns just fine, so it must have either broken or was taken off to save fuel hahahahaha. It's also in a different place than the one on my early 300 series cars that I've had (below the PS pump). The throttle linkage went on once I tightened the bolts in the valve cover that were sticking up a bit too high causing it to bind. Then, it fired up with a bunch of smoke from all of the oil and crud in the intake from MANY previous attempts, and we were off! The more that Dad stomped on it, the better it ran, and the less smoky it became. The shift out of low was a bit quicker than I would like, but it didn't shift until just a few hundred RPM from redline in all of the other gears. Could this be due to the vacuum/linkage hardware on top of the valve cover being out of adjustment? Other than this, she ran flawlessly, and when I started it up a half an hour after we got back, there was no smoke at all! For a $500 car, I declare it a winner! Once things are fine tuned a bit more, it will be great. To make things even better, both the odometer and fuel gauge actually work!
It's so nice to own a good running MB diesel once again!

Kevin in Hillsboro Oregon

1981 300CD 204K miles, Giesela