I've found that the purple beans need to be picked when they're quite small,
they get woody quick. This year I grew yellow beans, I can't remember the
variety and one variety of green beans I also can't recall. The green beans are
terrible for getting woody, probably made worse by the drought here. The yellow
beans are much more tolerant, I can let them get quite large before they're
inedible.
We grew beans all over the place this year, in the garden, in the flowers,
around the edge of the house. Angie was skeptical at first but I think she's
come to accept my "grow food everywhere" mantra.
The front of our house has an asparagus patch on one side and Angie's flower
garden on the other. I snuck beans into every open inch of her flower garden.
Her flowers have never looked so good. ;)
-Curt

    On Thursday, August 27, 2020, 5:30:32 PM EDT, Andrew Strasfogel via