From: Marshall Booth [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, May 8, 2006 05:10 PM
To: 'Mercedes Discussion List'
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 300D cruise control troubleshooting

Alex Chamberlain wrote:

> Hmm. More of an intermittent surgey thing. And it only happens when I
> haven't used the cruise for a while, which suggests to me a mechanical
> problem (something taking a while to loosen up and operate smoothly after a
> period of dormancy)... which is why I suspected the actuator.
>
> I certainly hope the amp is the right one! GDL did ask for my VIN when I
> called them, so that they could make sure they were giving me a rebuilt unit
> appropriate to my car.

The accelerator linkage ball and socket joints were supposed to be
cleaned/lubed every 15/30kmi and when they start to bind the the cruise
control may jerk or even cut out. When the contacts on the actuator
wear, you may have problems often related to one speed.

When everything is PERFECT (just as delivered from the factory) most
124.133/193 cruise controls surge - especially when climbing a hill.
This was a flaw and Mercedes had a fix for it (that some have said robs
the engine of power). The surge was "cured" in my 124.193 by adjusting
the ALDA out (counterclockwise) about 1 1/2 turns to improve low end
acceleration. Following that, the surge was completely gone.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84
190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)