In Arizona, before 5 years ago, if you took a title loan on a vehicle, the
title loan folks would file a lien with the state, and you kept the title
in your name.
Then 5 years ago, the law was changed and if you take a title loan, the
loan company takes title to the vehicle as a superior interest. To get the
title back in your name, you have to pay off the loan, in full, and get a
lien release document from the title loan company, then re-title the car
back in your name as owner, free and clear of lien.

I'm betting your state has that same pattern in place. The title loan
sharks were getting burned badly and bought themselves legislators, and a
law. Many of them operate in several states, so a clone would likely happen.