Having been the beneficiary of some of those young ladies (meal-wise, not the other way...) I can say that the ride was good while it lasted, but the rules changed and that put an end to a lot of the freebies.

Once when the former missus was an oncology fellow at MDAnderson, about this time of year a drug rep took 6 or 8 fellows and spouses out for an evening at a very nice restaurant in Houston (one that I had been kicked out of a coupla years before, but that is a different story...) and I happened to sit next to her at the big table.  The waitron brought around the wine list, which was very large, and she says "I don't know anything about wine, here you take it" and gives it to me.  I figured 3 bottles would be good to start, so I asked her what her rules were and she says "it is the end of the year and I have a lot of my budget left so have fun." I ask her, "How much fun?" and she says "As much as you want." um, OK...  so I order 3 bottles that were like $150 each, some wines I had heard about and one that I had at the same place at a business dinner (Enron, my boss bought it) a little while before. So those go down pretty fast among that crowd, it's time to order more, so I ask her if I should, she says "I didn't really like those why don't you order something better."  Uh, OK... so I did. I think we did another round too, maybe like dessert wines or something, bubbly, I don't remember.  We ate very well too.  I think the bill came to $2-3k that evening, she didn't even look twice at it and handed her card over.

Ah for the good old days....

PS she was quite a looker too, and a LOT of fun...

--FT