Thanks Marshall. My thoughts have drifted back to the emergancy brake pads and I've been thinking of removing that set and giving it a test, since the problem has been pretty predictable.

Neal

Marshall Booth wrote:

Neal Kramarcy wrote:
Hello list,

I need some help from your collective wisdom. My problem is strange. For the last several months I've been dealing with my 1981 3000CD left rear brake that seems to be either grabbing the rotor or pulsing such that I hear a hard metal sound as if the pad was loose or the rotor was moving. It is not smooth, but almost a popping like metal sound. When applying the brakes the noise quiets, is gone. It starts after a period of driving, usually I hear it after about 10-12 miles at 50-55. Sometimes once it quiets is smooths out with the occasional pop. When this first started I thought it a bad driveaxle and replaced it. A week or so later the noise returned. I replaced the caliper and there was no change. I replaced the brake hose and got a week of relief. But it's back. I don't feel any vibration when moving at highway speeds and often in stop and go traffic, which I don't do a lot of, the noise rarely appears. The rotors were replaced in the recent past as was the master cylinder ( within the last 18 mos to 2 years). When I had my indie look at it they found the sway bar busings worn and replaced them but saw nothing else. But since they didn't drive it long enough they didn't hear the noise. The brakes are firm and I don't feel a pulsing due to a warped rotor, but something is producing this weird response and it's getting a bit frustrating. Any help would be appreciated.

The emergency brake shoes often cause a problem quite like you seem to be describing. Remove the rotor and examine the brake shoes and the springs that secure them.

Marshall