Thanks for the help list. But even without the parking brake shoes the noise continues. I can hear the rubbing of the pads on the rotor and am more convinced that the rotor is the problem; it just seems too loose. Maybe wheel bolts are too long to give a tight fit, but I really snug them with a cheater bar. The basic sound at very low speed is the rotor flopping on the hub and at high speed a constant rubbing and the occasional bang. A warped rotor? Something in the brake hydraulics? I guess it's time to switch rotors as a test as I'm getting a bit tired of replacing parts with no effect. Thanks for the help .

Neal