I asked for a bid from my local Mercedes dealer (Yakima, WA) to replace the
timing chain in my 1987 300D turbo, 300K miles. The first response I got was
that it was not needed unless the timing chain was making lots of noise. I then
told him, that as far as I knew, I should replace it because of the high
mileage, that I didn't want to risk destroying the engine in case of failure.
I asked for an estimate, and after 3 or 4 phone calls and 2 days time, he
finally gave me one.
He then, changed his story, telling me because of my mileage, I needed to
change all the gears, sprocket, and related parts. The price of the parts was
going to be $1200, and the labor was going to be $800. He then went on to tell
me that all the years he had been with the dealership (he is the service
manager, and has been there a long time) he has only known of 2 or 3 such
replacements.
I told him, well, I guess I won't be needing the work done, as, I surely was
not going to be taking my car here.
What I'm asking, is, would it be difficult for me to change the timing chain
myself? I am somewhat mechanically inclined, and could take the car to a
different shop to do the fine tuning of the timing and fuel pump.
Is there any valve work that I should also consider while doing this?
I have all the shop manuals for the car.

Anyone know of other good shops in the Yakima, Washington area that I could
trust working on my 300D?

Your help would be greatly appreciated,

Richard Fine

1987 300D turbo