Impact wrench to shake it loose??

Randy

On 03/02/2021 1:18 AM, Allan Streib via Mercedes wrote:
Ideas, no guarantees...

Soak it in good penetrant. PB Blaster, Kroil, or ATF/Acetone mix. Do it
several times.

Warm up the engine, then hit the plug with cold spray (dust-off spray
can held upside down).

Use a six point socket or box wrench. If that fails you might need one
of those sockets that are meant for stripped or rounded bolt heads. They
have sharp edges that bite into the fastener. I'm not sure I've seen
them in a deep socket so that might be a bit of a challenge to find.

If the stop lever won't stop it, I think that indicates a linkage
problem. If it won't shut off with the key, that's a vacuum
problem. Look for vacuum lines that were accidentally dislodged by your
other work.

Allan

Donald Snook via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com> writes:

I was suspicious that the 81 240D had a bad glow plug because it was
hard to start and there was white smoke on start up.

I ordered Bosch glow plugs. they arrived and this afternoon I
attempted to put them in.

I managed to get three of them replaced. however the one which is
second from the firewall was so tight I never could get the old plug
removed. I tried all sorts of tools and even bought a 12 mm deep
socket. Unfortunately, everything I tried ended up almost rounding off
the glow plug.

One of the glow plugs was wet. The other two looked okay with typical
light soot.

I also change the fuel filter today. After changing the 3 plugs and
the fuel filter I decided to take it for a test drive around the
neighborhood.  It ran fine. I still think the linkage is worn or
loose. It doesn’t have much power.  But, when I returned home, it
would not shut off. I even tried the stop lever which seemed to sort
of bog it down but it kept running.  The only thing I could think to
do was dump the clutch and make it stall.  That worked.

So, is this all an indication that the linkage is messed up since it
wouldn’t shut off even with the stop lever? Or did I knock some vacuum
line loose working on the GP.

Any ideas how to get the last glow plug out? There isn’t much room to
maneuver and it is close to rounded off.

Donald H. Snook