You can buy lithium cells, the problem will more likly be in managing
the charge. They require some amount of "intelligence" when charging to
avoid overcharging, and also in use to avoid over-discharging. This
circuitry is sometimes in the battery pack itself, but you won't have it
if you just naively replace NiCd cells with lithium cells.

Allan