Like any generator application, you’ve got a series of variables that will
affect what you want to do and what the generator can do.

Resistive heat, or heat strips, are an ideal load for a generator. Stable,
simple, easy to balance, they’re no different than what is used to load test
generators - resistive elements. I can’t speak to Kaleb’s heat pump setup, but
mine has 10kW of heat strips. I’m guessing Kaleb’s and yours are probably
larger? So that would dictate the base load for your generator, along with
whatever loads in the house (lighting, etc.) you might want.

The killer when it comes to sizing generators, especially for a home
application, is motor loads. Single phase motors, such as AC compressors and
furnace blowers, are notoriously inefficient and draw substantial amounts of
power to start. That's why you might have a well pump that’s 3/4 HP and need a
5kW (or larger) generator just to start it. My four ton AC compressor takes a
minimum of around 16kW to start it - but the running current is relatively low
compared to starting current.

Here’s another variable - your Winco can probably do a much better job at motor
starting than your Generac. Why? Because that Wisconsin engine has a lot of
mass in it - the Generac doesn’t. The mass of the engine components and
flywheel provide inertia that keeps things turning when a load is applied,
preventing the engine from slowing down significantly.

As for your Lennox furnace needing “clean” power, you’re probably OK. Here’s
why:

It may be frequency sensitive - so as loads are turned on and off the generator
speeds up and slows down slightly, and speed is what determines frequency. If
it has a “window” that it can operate within, say, 58 Hz-62Hz, you might be OK
until a large load hits it and the speed drops off enough to take it out of
that window. It might also be sensitive to the waveform that is produced by the
generator. A generator won’t produce a clean sine wave, no matter how good it
is. It will be “lumpy” and “lean” in one direction or the other for a number of
reasons. However, I’m betting it probably would work, the Lennox folks are just
being picky and covering their bottoms. Utility power is an average value over
a given time - that is, depending on the time of day, loads on the system and
the distance from the generating plant, the waveform and frequency of your
power varies, too.

Have you attempted to run the furnace off of one of your generators? I’m
betting the Winco would do it without a hitch.

-D