So the reporting now is that pipes moving gas have frozen up, meters and sensors and such have frozen up, and all that mitigates against producing electrons at nukes and fossil PPs. None of that makes sense to me.  I can see where not having interconnections (which was the issue like 10yr ago when the wind died on NYDay and all the wind machines in West Texas shut down in a few minutes) limit pulling in power but I don't get how cold weather (and not "winterizing") cuts down on base load and peaking plants not working.  Makes no sense to me.

Wind at 20% is quite a bit, esp on really cold days when the demand is as high as in hot days in the summer.  I don't know if there was a problem spinning up plants, or lack of fuel supply, or what, but the cold being a factor in delivering fuel or operating fossil or nuke plants is kinda strange.

--FT