True story.  Many of the new fancy chargers will not even try unless they
know the voltage of the "dead" battery, which typically requires something
over 10v.  In the past I used an old dumb charger to get the voltage up to
the point the smart charger would work.  Jumping works too but I have more
spare chargers than batteries.

"My neighbor has a HF smart charger with switching power supply, must be
about ten years old.
Works fine, but if the battery is flat you need to jump start the charger to
make it believe it has a battery hooked up t0 it."