Silicon reached it's speed limit more than a decade ago, and multi-core
processors are limited by the overhead of managing tasks -- at some point the
time needed to distribute and collect the processing threads is more than
running them consecutively.

I have also come to the conclusion that most IT people know little or nothing
about computing, it's all software applications.  I'm currently dealing with IT
people who persistently confuse a database with a spreadsheet and insist on
trying to manage data with Excel.
Drives me crazy.  I don't know what the teach in computer courses these days,
but it's not what it needs to be in most cases.

I have a buddy who went to a local private college, and had to write an OS for
a simple computer, but he was an engineering student, not a computer science
student!  All his programming classes were about how to use high level
languages, not anything nuts and bolts.