#4 birdshot in lead is 135 pellets per ounce. It's probably not deadly but a
load of it would have a STRONG deterrent effect. Within 5-10 feet of the muzzle
those pellets are all clumped together and will put serious hurt on whatever
you hit. After about 30 feet the pellets aren't going to seriously penetrate a
wall making it much safer for bystanders.

The average homeowner type defensive gunfight is going to be 1-2 shots at most
and is going to be highly panicked and, well lets say it'll be difficult. A
shotgun will give you 2 things, a much better chance of hitting the assailant
and a much smaller chance of hitting your neighbors through the wall of your
house. So on the whole its much safer for other good people and much less safe
for the bad guy...
-Curt

    On Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 1:07:44 AM EST, Scott Ritchey via Mercedes