> Seems to me, this would be an opportune time for an enterprising electrical
> engineer to design a "Universal Car Computer" that works on any car system
> and uses plug in memory chips, instead of only "model specific hardware".

Not a chance.  The CPU/memory is the least part of it.  These things are full
of custom I/O and etc. now.  There are hundreds of CPUs in the current cars,
mostly fairly small ones.  How many do you have to have a shortfall on to
prevent a sale?  (Hint: one.)

The real problem is just-in-time production, and governmental inventory taxes.
Even if the silicon is very cheap (in bulk), they don't stockpile this stuff
anymore.
Which means, it only takes ONE problem to bring the whole complex mess
crashing down.

-- Jim