> So.. the only real shortage that we have is "Logical Thought" that would
> permit "Planning ahead"..

Current business practice, and governmental interference, actively punishes
planning ahead.  The Agile flow, which is intended to avoid investing too
much up-front effort in _execution_ of possibly-unnecessary work, is actually
being applied to avoid _all_ planning and forethought.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I experienced this, personally, via a pointy-haired boss who was publicly
humiliating me in a meeting for doing a rough breakdown of anticipated work.
We're talking about less than a minute invested in a breakdown of anticipated
tasks.
I almost quit on the spot.  What is the point of having experienced workers, who
know how to avoid repeating the mistakes of the past?

I no longer work there, and wish them corporate death at their (in)convenience.
(Rule 1 when working for assholes: don't quit until you have the next job lined
up.)

> As for a "one chip" computer for cars... Why not? .... a computer is
> certainly capable of receiving and processing data from multiple sources.

The multiple sources _are_ the problem.  Embedded I/O, which is the more
costly part now when compared to CPU cores and (modest) memory.
That and cost-shaving, where you don't use an overly-capable part if you
can use a custom one that is pennies less per unit.

There _are_ benefits to reliability if you're not deploying overly-capable
hardware.
So far as I know, the only real mistake made was in not keeping inventory.

-- Jim