Exactly - I ran one (009) in my 1951 bug.

On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 6:12 AM dan penoff.com via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> I liked them because the advance curve was smoother than that of the
> vacuum advance model and they eliminated the vacuum line and related
> plumbing.
>
> -D
>
> On Aug 11, 2021, at 7:10 AM, Curt Raymond <curtlud...@yahoo.com<mailto:
> curtlud...@yahoo.com>> wrote:
>
> I remember the 009 being a very tribal choice. Those who were into them
> loved them but there was a case to be made for vacuum advance although I
> don't remember any more about it.
>
> Curt
>
> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android<
> https://go.onelink.me/107872968?pid=InProduct&c=Global_Internal_YGrowth_AndroidEmailSig__AndroidUsers&af_wl=ym&af_sub1=Internal&af_sub2=Global_YGrowth&af_sub3=EmailSignature
> >

> On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 9:21 PM, dan penoff.com<http://penoff.com> via
> Mercedes
> <mercedes@okiebenz.com<mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>> wrote:
> Vacuum advance on the distributor? A really easy performance enhancement
> on any of these engines is to go with a Bosch “009” distributor, which is
> 100% centrifugal advance. Much better curve and you eliminate the vacuum
> stuff, too.
>
> Dang, I can’t believe how much of this is starting to come back to me
> after 40+ years...
>
> -D
>
> > On Aug 10, 2021, at 9:16 PM, Allan Streib via Mercedes <
> mercedes@okiebenz.com<mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>> wrote:
> >
> > Well running much better now.
> >
> > I went through the carb balancing routine again, and setting the idle
> mixture screws. Got a good idle at 800rpm. Not quite sure what spec is.
> >
> > I advanced the timing from 5 degrees BTDC at idle to 7.5. Idle speed
> went up, so I adjusted it the idle back down and drove it. Better but still
> a "flat" spot in the throttle. Advanced again to 10 degrees BTDC and it
> seems even better. Still not perfect but it is drivable. At higher RPM it
> advances to a little over 30 degrees; hard to tell exactly because my old
> timing light doesn't seem to fire as accurately at that speed so the timing
> marks appear to be jumping around some.
> >
> > Not sure how far I can safely advance it. I have no temperature
> monitoring on this engine. I don't mind running premium gas as it's just a
> "for fun" car mostly, though it has about 4 gallons of 87 in the tank right
> now. Probably will pick up some Seafoam and run it in the gas for a little
> while just for good measure.
> >
> > Allan

OK Don

pause and reflect." Mark Twain

“Basic research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I am doing.”  Wernher
Von Braun
2013 F150, 18 mpg
2017 Subaru Legacy, 30 mpg
1957 C182A, 12 mpg - but at 150 mph!