I wonder about these 1Gb connections. That's about 100MB (megabytes) per
second. It seems unlikely that the ISP could actually support that for
thousands of subscribers. I'd guess they count on you only using a small
portion of the bandwidth.
"It's 1Gb to the subscriber switch, 100Mb to the next switch upstream and 10Mb
out to the internet. She's a beaut Clark!"
-Curt

    On Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 07:46:25 PM EDT, Jim Cathey via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

 > The provider is promising 1,000Mbps fibre to the house for $39.99/mo.

We're paying $60/mo for what amounts to 5 Mbps via WiFi MIMO,
a small dish antenna facing a tower several miles away.  Line of sight.
It works pretty well, but it's only as fast as it is.  (Clearly it's metered.)
The speed is not an inconvenience, _except_ when transferring 4GB
database backup files to/from work.  That can take hours.

If fiber were available here, I'd be all over that like a bum on...

> Also included is a phone line with unlimited calling to 60+ countries.

Probably not a phone line.  VOIP over the fiber internet connection.
Basically an interface to the packet switched network, the telco,
that you can use.  Is there a POTS interface on the fiber box?
That's one of the products we made at World Wide Packets.

You plugged your analog home phone into the POTS jack, the transceiver
in the box converted it to VOIP, the IP fiber delivered it to the telco
interface,
wherever in the world it was located, or needed to be located, and things
proceeded from there.

Maybe it's now all only an app on a smartphone now.  Same thing, minus
the POTS jack and the old phone.

-- Jim