A GL or ML or a wagon, you can get all your impedimenta in any of them without struggling, and tow something if you want on the SUVs, and take a nap if you want (or if no AirBnBs about you can sleep in it).  The bigger the better for highway miles and room to stretch your legs around while driving.  Even the 211 wagon falls a bit short in the last measure but the 163 ML is great in that regard, although noisier and harsher ride.  The newer SUVs are much better in that regard though.  An AWD SUV will get you in the back country if you want to explore off the beaten track, or deal with snow and such if you are out in that, even rain too.

--FT