My personal experience with the KC135 ended in 1982.  At that time they all
still had the original engines.
Dutch roll damping was terrible at approach speeds and there was no yaw damper
(unlike 707s) but you could use the autopilot yaw channel momentarily to kill
the roll oscillation (not the flight manual procedure).  Dutch Roll is a
coupling between yaw and roll, common with swept wings, for those that don't
know.
The most amazing thing was the crew emergency egress chute in the cockpit.
There was a "chinning bar" that when pulled down jettisoned a hatch.  You were
supposed to hang from that bar facing aft with your legs tucked up and drop
through the hatch (with parachute on, of course).  The theory was that tucking
knees to chest would prevent you from smacking into the chute when the
slipstream hit your legs. I am not aware of any bailout attempts, successful or
otherwise.  Still an amazing airplane when you consider when the KC was
designed.  AFAIK only the B52 is the only older (1952) design still on duty.

On December 5, 2021 9:16 AM, Peter Frederick wrote

I thought they had finally replaced the engines, long, long overdue.

Should make them much easier to fly a low speed, the original 707/KC135 was a
handful with poor lateral stability and VERY low power at landing speeds.

BOAC rejected the first version because it would not fly without full power on
at least one engine on each side -- considering the history of jet engines at
the time, and the fact that there was an extra hard point to carry a spare
engine on each wing, it wasn't out of the realm of real possibility to have
both fail on one side during flight.  Turns out even the J57 or equivalent was
a very reliable engine

BOAC took them after a large ventral fin was added to the tail underneath and
the rudder made substantially larger.  I don't know if those mods were made to
the KC135.  Very soon after than they all got P$W turbofans too, which helped
at low speed.

J57 equipped KC135 or original 707 at full up weight required a 15,000 ft
runway and water injection.  Upgrading the engines would definitely reduce the
takeoff run, probably by a lot.  I wouldn't see that as a problem