Exactly correct.  I go up/down my driveway (which is somewhat bumpy with various tree roots in the tracks, if I was staying here I would get a coupla loads of gravel) in the 211 wagon and it is your typical MB sedan ride, absorbs the bumps with no drama. The E500 with air ride, which is now working, is stiffer than the wagon even on the "comfort" setting and you can feel the bumps but it does not bounce or pound.  The ML is rough, it hits and bounces on every one and is not particularly pleasant.  It does not take road bumps well either.  But it will tow a good load, and haul a fair amount of impedimenta, and will get through a lot of unpleasant stuff if you need to.

--FT