The caliper diameter has to suit the master cylinder and vacuum booster.

I have been running two different rear calipers on my wagon for 20 years
now. They recently got fried when the master cylinder failed, so we rebuilt
them. Unfortunately I failed to get the w126 master to suit my late w126
front brakes, so the pedal is a bit harder now than stock. But the rears
seem to work fine.