Part of that trip reminds me of a trip I took from State College to
Virginia Beach one night while attending Penn State. The rest of my family
was down there at a house along the beach and I wanted to join them. My
car at the time was an old Austin Marina 4 door, 4 cylinder, 4 speed.
Sometime after I left I lost the brakes or at least most of them. Since I
was driving in the very early morning during the week on mostly 2 lane
roads through the countryside, I made it without incident. REALLY STUPID,
REALLY FORTUNATE (God's grace if you ask me) and I hope my own kids are
smarter than that.

...Kevin